1. Your rights in relation to privacy
SMSF Options Pty Ltd (ACN 167 757 084) (“SMSF Options”, “we”, “us”, “our”) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information. This policy sets out how SMSF Options aims to protect the privacy of your personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by SMSF Options and the way SMSF Options collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information.
In handling your personal information, SMSF Options will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act. This policy may be updated from time to time.
2. What kinds of personal information does SMSF Options collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of its services, SMSF Options may collect your personal information.
Generally, the kinds of personal information SMSF Options collects are:
- contact and identification information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth;
- financial information about your assets, occupation and income, investments, account balances, account activities, and payment history;
- details of superannuation and insurance arrangements;
- educational qualifications, employment history and salary;
- information contained in CVs or employment applications in relation to potential roles with SMSF Options;
- sensitive information (e.g. information about your health, medical history or specific condition, criminal record, professional memberships etc), which will only be collected with your consent, and if the information is reasonably necessary for SMSF Options to provide its services to you; and
- other information relevant in the circumstances.
3. How does SMSF Options collect personal information?
There may be occasions when SMSF Options collects your personal information from other sources such as:
- from your employer or former employer, where necessary for SMSF Options to provide its services to you;
- from a bank, fund manager, insurance provider, or superannuation or other product issuer;
- from government or regulatory bodies;
- from an information services provider;
- from a publicly maintained record or other publicly available sources of information including social media and similar websites; and
- if for recruitment purposes, an external recruitment or background screening services provider.
Generally, SMSF Options will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information from you or if you consent or it is otherwise required by law.
4. Why does SMSF Options need your personal information?
SMSF Options collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information for a number of purposes including, but not limited to, the following:
- to provide professional services, including services in audit and assurance, accounting and taxation, business improvement, bookkeeping, business valuations, corporate advisory, due diligence, estate and succession planning, and specialist superannuation consulting;
- accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes;
- to respond to requests or queries;
- to maintain contact with clients;
- to notify clients of seminars and other events and to seek feedback;
- identifying and informing you of services that may be of interest to you;
- assessing your application for employment with SMSF Options or otherwise for the purpose of engaging you as a contractor or consultant;
- to manage any conflict of interest or independence issues;
- to conduct surveys;
- to meet any regulatory obligations;
- as part of a corporate transaction; and/or
- for any other business related purposes.
SMSF Options may also use your personal information for purposes related to the above purposes and for which you would reasonably expect SMSF Options to do so in the circumstances, or where you have consented or the use is otherwise in accordance with law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, SMSF Options takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to SMSF Options. However, without certain information from you, SMSF Options may not be able to provide its services to you.
5. To whom does SMSF Options disclose your personal information?
SMSF Options discloses your personal information for the purpose for which SMSF Options collects it. That is, generally, SMSF Options will only disclose your personal information for a purpose set out at paragraph 4. This may include disclosing your personal information to:
- third parties engaged to perform administrative or other business management functions;
- business partners and associates;
- people or entities considering acquiring an interest in SMSF Options’s enterprise or assets;
- SMSF Options’s professional advisors, contractors, consultants and related bodies corporate;
- banks, fund managers, insurance providers, and superannuation and other product providers;
- other parties in the context of a corporation transaction;
- government or regulatory bodies; and
- any other entity, with your consent, or to whom disclosure is required or authorised by law.
SMSF Options’s disclosures of your personal information to third parties are on a confidential basis or otherwise in accordance with law. SMSF Options may also disclose your personal information with your consent or if disclosure is required or authorised by law.
6. Overseas disclosure
SMSF Options may engage outsource service providers in countries outside of Australia who will handle your personal information as part of the engagement.
Where it is necessary to make any overseas disclosures, SMSF Options will take steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme unless you consent to the overseas disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
7. Direct marketing
SMSF Options may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you. In the event you do not wish to receive such communications, you can opt-out by contacting SMSF Options via the contact details set out in paragraph 10 or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a marketing communication to you.
8. Security of your personal information
SMSF Options takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. SMSF Options holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
SMSF Options will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless SMSF Options is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
9. Can you access and correct the personal information that SMSF Options holds about you?
SMSF Options takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to access and seek correction of your personal information that is collected and held by SMSF Options. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that SMSF Options holds about you, or you would like more information on SMSF Options’s approach to privacy, please contact one of SMSF Options’s Privacy Compliance Officers on the details set out in paragraph 10 below. SMSF Options will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- SMSF Options requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- SMSF Options may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to SMSF Options, for providing access in accordance with your request.
- If SMSF Options refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, SMSF Options will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. SMSF Options will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of SMSF Options.
SMSF Options will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request.
10. How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any promotional or marketing communications, please contact SMSF Options’s Privacy Compliance Officer as follows:
Genevieve Wuoti, 07 5521 0029, firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Privacy complaints
Please direct all privacy complaints to SMSF Options’ Privacy Compliance Officer.
At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and SMSF Options.
The SMSF Options Privacy Compliance Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.